But I know that if I didn't just suck it up and type I never would!
__________________________________
MONDAY:
I was really disappointed with Mrs. Drakes altogether.
On Monday, we warmed up for half of the morning. I'm all for warming up- I'm an OCD vocal warm-upper. On my 30 min ride to the theatre, I am doing vocal warm ups the entire time. My body is something that I don't warm up quite as rigorously. Since I run a lot, my body is generally pretty ready to go with about a 5 minute stretch (it's been proven if you run about 10 miles a week it isn't terribly beneficial to stretch a great deal). So to warm up and "get acquainted to the space" for an hour seemed WAY redundant.
And what does "get used to the space" REALLY mean? We've been working there for a week and a half, I'm pretty sure our minds and bodies are well aware of where we are. If it isn't, then I don't think there's much you can do for that except seek medical attention ASAP.
Then we did MORE breathing. My goodness, the breathing! I understand the importance, believe me, as an asthmatic and a singer, I definitely get it. But I think we got the basics of breathing.
Then we did the word by word thing. My GOD how that dragged. I get doing motions for the important parts, but every SINGLE word? And yes, I get that "you have to know every little part of what you're doing," but at the same time after a million times, I think one ought to focus more on the big picture. I'm sure the audience won't mind if you aren't intimately connected with very OF, THAT, A, AN, and AND.
AFTERNOON:
IAN!!!!!! I MISSED YOU SO MUCH! The afternoons are always so wonderful to me. Yes, blocking is tedious as ever, but I love watching a show come to life. It's like a huge puzzle that never seems to fit, but once you get the sides done a a few little patches, you can almost see the picture it will be come. and it's so thrilling to watch and be a part of. This cast is absolutely amazing... it blows my noggin every day!
________________________________
TUESDAY:
Ok,listen up. If you're gonna ask for honest opinions, for the love of Pete, PLEASE be ready and don't get offended.
At no point was anyone rude about anything. I've seen sassy and mean. Heck, I've BEEN the sassy and mean one. At no point during feed back did I see that. But everyone was in general agreement about the redundancy of the previous morning.
But when you get this uncalled for attitude about "and just cause you think you can breathe and sing doesn't mean you can breathe and act" and "You need every single word if you're going to be an actor" and "Well since you all KNOWWW how to warm up, do it yourselves"..... Well obviously I'm going to shut off and shut down.
Maybe it's a flaw in my not having thick skin, but I hate it when people start getting rude when there isn't a warrant for it. I immediately close down, emotionally and physically. I don't respond well to that type of behavior.
And as far as singers not knowing all about breathing? I'd love to compare an opera singer's breathing apparatus compared to hers. I'm sure there would be no competition.
And I LIKED warming up by myself. I know my body better than anyone, so I know what I need to get limbered up for the day.
And what was with the snarky "I didn't see any of y'all getting acquainted to the space"...
I just spend 10 minutes on the floor stretching and BREATHING , I think I'm very much acquainted, thank you very much.
And what was with the whole laughing at us when we raised our hand and saying we wanted to be actors? Seriously? who are you to judge whether or not we can be actors? I'm sorry- where is your Oscar, Emmy, or Tony award? hmm?
Who's surprised at how caustic I can be? (and believe me, this was edited and watered down).
I did like going over the monologue by myself, but at the same time, I would have much rather performed it at least with one other person. I get the repetition of a word, but at the same time, I don't want to mutter to myself over and over for an hour. I do that enough in the privacy of my bedroom. I think it would have been much more beneficial to have someone else listen and give constructive feedback, at least for a FEW minutes.
MONDAY AND TUESDAY: not happy mornings for Fronia.
AFTERNOON: Again, I just love watching the blocking, especially when Olivia is Worcester. I love the way she delivers her lines and carries herself. It is amazing to watch someone else play the same character and the conscious and unconscious differences. There are some lines that she delivers and I'm like "oh, WOW I never thought of it that way!" and "That was spot on..."
It's like watching WICKED with different Elphabas!
I don't know exactly how she is playing her Worcester, but for my it is a bit out of my normal range.
I have played sassy, slightly disturbed, and "spritely", but I have never played a scheming, cunning, and sensual person before. As a person who generally chills out in shorts and hoodies, playing this character who is obviously always in control and always seen and heard is a very new experience.
Truth be told, It's very challenging. It's helping my self-esteem though, saying those things to the King. :)
________________________________________
TODAY!:
FINALLY! An instructor I REALLY enjoyed! I loved everything John said!
I loved the idea of repeating and seeing things spontaneously... That is such a wonderful and valuable tool for acting! I know I have been in show situations when people have just dropped lines and flubbed and I've just had to keep on trucking in character! and bless those people who have helped me recover when i've messed up!
I loved John's humor, too. It's exactly like my "Daddy Darius" so it was nice to have a lil bit of home in the lesson.
I liked the idea of a read through being a first impression- no acting with preconceived notions, just raw responses from what you're given.
And the staging this afternoon. WOW that was intense! it was amazing to be a part of that fight scene... the fast pace and physicality of it all was outstanding!
I am amazed at how Ian's mind works... the battle is genius!
____________________________
Well that is all for my ranting. Sorry if any part of this seems rude, but hey, it is the truth, and I'm not going to sugar coat it! ;)
Rwy'n meddwl y byddwn yn hytrach yn y cartref
Fro
No comments:
Post a Comment