Saturday, July 16, 2011

Character sketch: Hotspur

**All these questions are answered from the perspective of Hotspur in the first scene he is in, scene III***

WHO ARE YOU?
I am Henry 'Hotspur' Percy. I am a noble worrier, who is as prideful as a lion. I am gods gift to earth. I am stubborn, hot tempered, and hard headed. I am quick-witted and unafraid to voice my opinion, and on occasion I have a tendency to stick my foot in my mouth. I am a grown man, but when my raged is flared I am reduced to a tantrum throwing toddler. I am not always 'nice' to my wife, but the truth is that I am her biggest fan. I am childless. I am the man that is trying to convince the king to put up Mortimer ransom, with no prevail. I am the son King Henry always wanted, and never had.

WHAT TIME IS IT?
It is King Henry the IVs reign, right after King Richard the IIs reign. It is the year 1402. It is right after a battle.

WHERE AM I?
Physically: I am in London England inside the kings castle. Standing stage right of the throne, then moving mid stage right, then towards the door, onto the throne, mid stage left, back down stage, and ultimately off stage.
Emotionally: I am still, just a little bit, in battle combat mode. I am frustrated and upset with the king and being respectful to him when I honestly want to call him a babbling idiot is only fueling my anger more. Its safe to say that I may not be among the kings favorite people at the moment.

WHAT SURROUNDS ME?
My huge ego and good looks. A castle and all of its belongings. guards, servants, and other people that I wont even go out of my way to care about. The king, his subjects, my uncle Worcester and Northumblerland.

WHAT ARE THE GIVEN CIRCUMSTANCES?
My wife's brother has been taken hostage and been married, and now she wont stop pestering me to get the king to put up ransom for him. I was in a battle, fighting hard for his majesty, when his dumb, lazy, drunken, sack of a son, who didn't even pretend to participate in the battle, approached me and demanded my prisoners in his majesties behalf; A demand that I was far too prideful to ever obey.

WHAT IS MY RELATIONSHIP?
I am a husband to lady Percy and a brother in law to Lord Mortimer. I am a nephew To the Earl of Worcester. I am one of the men who help put the crown on the kings head. I am currently inside a castle and my relationship to the king is complicated at best. My enemy: prince Henry. I am my own favorite person and think very highly of myself, however that pride can at times be my greatest down fall and my own worst enemy.

WHAT DO I WANT?
Super-Objective: I want to be king.
At the moment: I want to get Mortemer back and I want to not have to give the king my prisoners. If I happen to kill prince Henry in the process, well good for me.

WHATS IN THE WAY?
The king.

HOW AM I GOING TO GET IT?
Tactic: I'm rallying troops to fight the king ((super objective)). I'm trying to persuade the king to ransom Mortimer by defending his name to the king; I am also throwing a tantrum and simply refusing to give the king my prisoners, not to his face of course, I just plan on not doing it.

HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN I'VE GOT IT?
The king will be dead, prince Henry will be mounted on my wall. My butt will be planted comfortably on the throne and A crown will be placed on my head. My wife will say how proud she is of me and my prisoners will still be in my possession. Mortimer and his new wife will be living some where safely in their happiness and most importantly I will think for almost a whole three seconds that there's nothing else in the world that I could possibly want.

No comments:

Post a Comment