Monday, July 18, 2011

Fartstaff

Who am I?
Sir John Falstaff, Sir Sack and Sugar, and Jack. I don't believe that I'm religious, but if I am, that has probably been lost long ago when I also lost any signs of being in the hierarchy. Economically, I think that I probably have lost most of my money over the years wasting it on bets and drinking. I am a rogue! A drinking old man, who I think very deep down maybe has some pain that he hides with various shenanigans.

What time is it?
In most of the scenes, it seems to be later in the night for Falstaff, or you could say very early in the morning. It's wartime, under the reign of Henry 4 of England. I always pictured it to be winter, but I can't find any substantial evidence to support that.

Where am I?
Most of Falstaff's time seems to be spent in The boar's-head Tavern in Eastcheap, but he also spends some time in hal's apartment, the Highway for when they rob the thieves, and towards the end of the play in war camps. So a mixture of city, and open land, and among both the worst of people and the best of people.

What surrounds me?
Drunks. City life, and open land. Tom foolery and mischief, as well as dust, and not much light.

What are the given circumstances?
For each scene it differs, but the usual given circumstance is that he got drunk somewhere, and is usually on the gamet of tired to exhausted.

What is my relationship?
I don't think any of the other characters rely on Falstaff for anything, he is a great friend to mess around with, but when things get serious I don't think anyone really wants him around. He and Hal are close, but Hal realizes that eventually he is going to have to grow up, and stop letting Falstaff influence him.

What do I want?
I think I want to keep Hal as a friend, and keep joking and drinking. I think I also want Hal to sort of look up to me in a weird way. I want to entertain people and have a peaceful life.

What's in the way?
The fact that Hal has to grow up is in the way of us remaining friends. I think that Hal gets a little sick of always having to deal with him too. In Henry's last monologue he basically says he has always dreamed of an old man who could guide him, but he realizes that he hates that idea, because he can't survive on joking, and he can't rule a kingdom that way.

How am I gonna get it?
I think the sad thing about Falstaff is he pretty much uses the same tactics throughout the play, and never really tries any new strategies. I think one thing he does, is he tries to convince Hal that he should hate the court, his duties, and his father.

No comments:

Post a Comment